This EDM news roundup features new music technology and announcements from iZotope, Mixed in Key, Output, Roland, UAD, Novation, Pioneer DJ, IK Multimedia, and more.
Music Industry News
ICON Collective’s music news roundup is your source for the latest music technology, industry news, gear reviews, artist interviews, events, and more.
Output Debuts Their Studio Collection
Output’s new Studio Collection offers high-quality studio furniture for musicians. The Studio Collection Features:
- Platform: A stylish studio desk constructed with 100% real wood. It features a bridge for studio monitors, 9U of rack space, sleek cable management, and an optional slide-out keyboard tray with adjustable heights.
- Sidecar: A thoughtfully designed, modular solution for your gear and storage. It features a shelf and sliding trey for gear, rack storage for up to 12U of gear, sliding arm for cable and headphone storage, and a cable management system.
- Stands: Hand-crafted studio monitor stands that combine style and strength. These height-adjustable monitor stands can adjust freely between 37 and 48 inches high. They also feature adjustable pedestals that angle your monitors to an optimal listening position. In addition, they include a sturdy steel bass with eight acoustic spikes and spike pads, isolation pads, and cable clips.
The Output Studio Collection is also 100% made in the USA with high-quality materials such as real wood and handcrafted metals.
iZotope Launched Ozone 9 Mastering Suite
Ozone 9 is a comprehensive mastering suite loaded with intelligent processing and a myriad of new features. The updated version of Ozone brings new ways to adjust instrument balance and the low end, smarter audio assistance, seamless plugin integration, and faster performance.
Some key features include:
- Low End Focus: Quickly adjust the contrast and definition of low frequencies to get a clear and balanced low end.
- Master Rebalance: Adjust the levels of vocals and other instruments, fix balance issues, and more.
- Tonal Balance Control: The improved Tonal Balance Control delivers smoother metering, resizability, new target curves, and inter-plugin communication
- Master Assistant: Analyze your mix to discover suggested targets, signal chains, and processor settings. Also, choose from a modern or vintage vibe, with loudness targets for CD and streaming.
- Match EQ: Match the EQ curves from any reference track. You can also match parts of the frequency spectrum.
- Vintage Modules: A collection of vintage modules that add warmth, grit, and vibe to your music.
- Improved Performance: Experience faster performance, smoother workflows, improved visualizations, and fluid metering.
iZotope Ozone 9 is also available in three editions designed to meet any budget or mastering need. Choose either Ozone Elements, Standard, or Advanced.
Mixed in Key released Captain Melody 3.0
Captain Melody 3.0 is the latest version in Mixed in Keys’ Captain Plugins series. Quickly write and discover melodies that work with your chord progressions. You can also edit melodies, apply different rhythms, create arpeggiators, adjust the tension between your chords and melody, and more.
The update also includes six new tools for writing melodies. The latest innovation is the “Idea Box” feature. It helps you craft melodies appropriate for plucks, pianos, synths, guitars, voice, and other instruments. In addition, Captain Melody features a sound engine with over 100 sounds to play your melodies. You also have the option to route a virtual instrument of choice.
Novation Introduces Launchkey Mini MK3
Launchkey Mini MK3 is Novation’s most compact and portable 25-mini-key MIDI keyboard controller. It gives you everything you need to create music in Ableton Live. Key features include a new arpeggiator, Fixed Chord mode, Capture MIDI, 16 RGB pads, MIDI Out, and more. In addition, you get sounds, instruments, and effects from AAS, Softube, Spitfire Audio, XLN Audio, and Klevgrand. You also gain access to the Novation Sound Collective, a platform that offers free content from Novation’s plugin partners.
Make Your Own Vinyl Records with Phonocut
It just got easier to build the ultimate vinyl collection. The Phonocut is a compact vinyl lathe that allows anyone to cut 10-inch vinyl records at home. It’s also the first consumer device in the vinyl industry capable of cutting vinyl fast and easy. Simply plug in your music source, place a blank record on the platter, and hit start to record your favorite music onto the vinyl.
Pioneer DJ Releases The DDJ-XP2 Controller
Level up your live performance game with the DDJ-XP2 DJ controller for Rekordbox DJ and Serato DJ Pro. The Pioneer DJ DDJ-XP2 key features include:
- 32 multicolored Performance Pads that are velocity-sensitive
- 16-pad modes that enable you to assign different features per deck
- Silent Cue for instantly starting your DVS tracks at the right BPM
- Transport mode for assigning transport controls like play, pause, cue, and pitch up/down to the pads.
- Touch-sensitive Slide FX strips
- Instant beat loop buttons with In/Out edit controls
- Reverse/slip control
- Track select knob and load buttons
- USB powered connection
The DDJ-XP2 also has a sturdy construction and non-slip rubber that holds up to enduring live performances.
Roland Introduces Zenbeats
Roland Zenbeats is a music creation app designed to keep you in an effortless artistic flow. Get started on any device or platform. The app enables users to easily make beats, create entire songs, capture audio, edit arrangments, and more. It also features interactive lessons plus composition, collaboration, and production features.
Moreover, the Zenbeats store is packed with sounds, loops, and creative tools to expand your musical palette. You can also access signature sounds from Roland’s legendary TR-808, TR-909, and TR-707. It’s a dynamic, accessible environment for music creation.
The Waldorf Kyra Synthesizer is Now Available
Waldorf released the Kyra, a high-end hardware/virtual analog synthesizer. The Kyra delivers both on rich sound quality and advanced features. Key highlights include:
- 128 voice polyphony, each with ten oscillators per voice. That’s 1,280 oscillators!
- Eight-part multitimbrality with nine effects modules per part
- 4,096 wavetables with 18-bit/32x oversampled sound quality
- 72 effects modules
- Hard sync, FM (Frequency Modulation), and ring modulation
- Emulations of classic analog ladder filters that give you 128 configurable filter options
- Three ADSR envelope generators
- Three stereo LFOs with 128 wavetable shapes
- An arpeggiator that offers 128 preset patterns
- A comprehensive six-channel modulation matrix
- Sound engine with 96kHz floating-point processing and 32x-oversampled 32-bit sound generation
The Kyra packs a ton more. It’s one of the most comprehensive synths on the market.
Universal Audio Releases v9.10 Update
Give your UA Audio Interface a DSP Boost! The UAD software v9.10 brings:
- UA 175B & 176 Tube Compressor Collection: Introduced in the early 1960s, the 175B and 176 compressors were the first tube limiters built for the studio. These rare units are prized for their gritty tube warmth and unique attack characteristics.
- Channel DSP Pairing: Run larger, more complex UAD plugin chains on inputs when tracking in real-time.
- +12 dB Fader Gain: Easily get that vocal or synth overdub louder in your monitor or headphone cues.
The latest update also brings various bug fixes and feature improvements.
IK Multimedia Releases iRig Keys 2
IK Multimedia introduced the iRig Keys 2 series of mobile MIDI keyboard controllers. The iRig Keys 2 Pro offers 37 full-size velocity-sensitive keys, and the portable iRig Keys 2 features 37 velocity-sensitive mini-keys. Each model also has a variety of top panel performance controls plus MIDI In/Out for use as a stand-alone MIDI controller. In addition, these ultra-slim controllers connect directly to iPhone/iPad and most Android models.